Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The High Jinks Architect

A view of the Pin-Up Girls set.  Photo by Starlet Jacobs (I believe), swiped from her online portfolio.

Starlet Jacobs has started a blog dedicated to sharing her exploits as "A West Coast set designer in the Big Apple."

Starlet kept pace with my champagne tastes and beer budget, and brought backstage at the "High Jinks Burlesque Club" to life in the 2008 production of my play, Pin-Up Girls.  She's crazy talented and tirelessly dedicated to her work. 

My undergrad experience was steeped in the collaborative process.  I crave the kind of interaction with designers that Dr. Partridge fostered among us scrappy kids.  I found some measure of that sort of exchange with Starlet, and it remains my greatest experience working with a designer at Theatre Unleashed.  I think the results speak for themselves.

I wish her all the success in the world, and she's well on her way.  She has the chops and drive to achieve whatever she sets out to do.  I only hope I get a chance to work with her again before she gets too big to take on one of my Under-99 productions!

No comments:

On the Importance of Comparing Notes

My wife and I were briefly involved in a group that has since become rather infamous for institutionalized abuse. It's a pretty sad comm...