Sunday, January 22, 2012

Phillip Kelly

Please say hello to Phillip Kelly, whose review of The 39 Steps will grace these pages shortly.

I met Phillip at Write Act Rep, where we were both members.  I was struck by his talent and commitment as an actor.  Backstage, we conversed frequently about live entertainment and small theatre in particular.  From these conversations arose a desire to strike out and form our own theatre company, which we did in 2009 with a small group of friends.  For two and a half years, he was my Artistic Director at Theatre Unleashed, and we endeavored to put our money (and time and effort) where our mouths were.  We had far more successes than failures at TU, and I'm proud of what we started.

Outside of TU we developed an idiosyncratic comedy act, Mr. Snapper & Mr. Buddy, performing in burlesque shows, variety shows, and the occasional birthday party.  Currently Phillip is producing a new sketch show under the Die Grüppe banner he created at TU (a show I wrote for and perform in) and co-hosts the Advice to the Players podcast with Shakespearean savant Jonathan Redding.

Phillip is a good friend, a trusted partner, and an artist whose opinion I greatly value.  I hope you will enjoy his insight as much as I do.

No comments:

On the Importance of Comparing Notes

My wife and I were briefly involved in a group that has since become rather infamous for institutionalized abuse. It's a pretty sad comm...