Thursday, January 19, 2012

DISCLAIMER

Cartoon by Hugh McCleod.  If you don't follow him, subscribe to his daily email, etc. WTF is your problem, exactly?

I write a lot of things on this blog.  Every now and then I get the feeling I should remind my readers--and myself--of one very important thing:

I don't know anything.  Yeah, I've done some stuff.  I've written, directed, and produced.  I've seen a lot, read even more, and have an annoyingly high opinion of my ability to forecast eventualities.  But at the end of the day, I'm just guessing, just opining.  If you don't like what I have to say, rest assured I've been known to hold two contrary opinions at the same time and/or change my mind when new facts reveal themselves.  "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

I try to stay open-minded and curious, even when I come off as stubborn and argumentative.  Sometimes argument is my way of sorting out what I really believe.  Most of the time, probably.

Often enough, I am wrong.  So please disagree with me, but please don't think I don't care deeply about the subjects I address.

And so I leave you with a quote from Hugh McCleod, author of How to Be Creative:
It is so easy in business to lose your desire to learn and grow. One thing we see with successful creators in business, arts, culture. It doesn’t matter the area, is a desire… need… drive… to stay curious.

They ask questions, probe. Always looking to connect unrelated things to make something better, smarter.
Ask questions, stay curious, and don't ever let up on yourself.

No comments:

On the Importance of Comparing Notes

My wife and I were briefly involved in a group that has since become rather infamous for institutionalized abuse. It's a pretty sad comm...