Wednesday, December 01, 2010

If You're Not a Part of the Solution ...

One of my boyhood idols, a Christian song evangelist named Jeff Steinberg posted the following quote on Facebook today:
"A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities, and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties."
- Harry Truman
Jeff was one of the first entertainers--who made a living as an entertainer--that I met.  I was maybe three or four years-old at the time.  He has an incredible story, and a powerful voice.  If he isn't the picture of optimism as defined above, I don't know who is.

"Don't tell me why it can't be done; help me figure out how it can."  That was a mantra I held onto over the past few years.  Nothing frustrates me more than people saying "No, but ...."  If you're not in the solution business, you should maybe not be in the theatre business.

Which is it to be?  Making difficulties of your opportunities, or making opportunities of your difficulties?

No comments:

On the Importance of Comparing Notes

My wife and I were briefly involved in a group that has since become rather infamous for institutionalized abuse. It's a pretty sad comm...