Monday, July 05, 2010

Cahiers du Théâtre

Back when Pamela and I started this theatre-centric blog, I had this idea that what was good for Truffaut, Godard and the other filmmaker/critics of Cahiers du Cinéma would be good for me. The experience of reviewing the theatrical work of others would make me a stronger artist, and putting my opinions out in a public forum would give me very little room to resort to my bad habits. I can't very well expound on the importance of brevity in dialogue, turn around and write a verbose play full of "dead kitten" speeches. Not without opening myself up to a public scourging, any way.

Besides, I'm an opinionated prick. It was only a matter of time before I became a professional critic.

And so it is that I find myself writing reviews for Stage Happenings.  My first review (of Josh Levine's Game Over) is online, and I just filed my second review.  I also reviewed The Fuxedos, plus Fish Circus performance at Hollywood Fringe Fest for LA Theatre Review.

I'm going to try something. My goal is to offer playmakers observations that will make their work stronger (without getting into specific, "this is how I would do it" suggestions) and playgoers a fair assessment of how well spent their entertainment dollar would be on the shows I review. My (virtual) door is wide open. I will strive to remain open for dialogue with the playmakers and playgoers. My interest is in "good" theatre, as opposed to "quality." (See Rick Culbertson's blog regarding the distinction: "Good is Not the Same as Quality.")

I'm also sticking more-or-less exclusively to the Los Angeles Basin. If you hear of a show I should check out, let me know.

No comments:

On the Importance of Comparing Notes

My wife and I were briefly involved in a group that has since become rather infamous for institutionalized abuse. It's a pretty sad comm...